- Our Model Driver Policy at a glance
- About Sheilas' Wheels Broker Model Driver
- Telematics made simple
- Complaints management
With Model Driver you get to pay a premium that reflects the driver!
- The Model Driver Black Box is installed in your car within 28 days of buying the policy.
- When, where and how your car is driven is monitored 24/7 using GPS.
- Speed and braking is recorded.
- Mileage clocked up late at night (11pm-5am) and on your Regular Routes is analysed.
- Your data is kept private and secure.
- Safe driving can be rewarded with money back on your premium every 6 months.
- You can review how well you’re driving by accessing your online dashboard.
- You’ll earn your No Claim Discount as usual.
- Your Model Driver Black Box doubles up as a Theft Tracker to help police if your car is stolen.
The ‘Sheila’ history lesson!
Sheilas’ Wheels car insurance was launched in October 2005 and has gone from strength to strength. Sheilas’ Wheels Broker was set up in November 2011 to provide insurance for those risks that Sheilas' Wheels could not cover. By carefully selecting a panel of insurers Sheilas’ Wheels Broker is able to offer our famous pink insurance brand to thousands more women behind the wheel.
Why we’ve launched Model Driver
Telematics or ‘Black Box’ insurance is a growing trend in the UK insurance market as insurance prices increase and customers opt for driving style policies in an attempt to save money on their insurance premiums. In addition, the EU ruling banning the use of gender for insurance pricing has meant that many women will pay more for their insurance. Sheilas’ Wheels Broker has decided to launch a new Telematics product to help reduce insurance premiums, especially for women and higher risk drivers such as young drivers or those with little or no driving experience who tend to pay more for their insurance.
Is Model Driver for me?
Here’s a quick checklist…
- I’m facing hefty car insurance quotes and want to pay a lower premium.
- I am happy to have a Model Driver Black Box installed in my car which will monitor and analyse when, where and how the car is driven, 24/7 using GPS.
- I rarely drive late at night between 11pm and 5am.
- I want to improve my driving and become the safest driver I can to help get money back on my premium.
- I don’t change my car on a regular basis.
Sound like you? If it does, why not get a Model Driver quote.
Always designed with women in mind
Any product with the Sheilas’ Wheels stamp is designed with women in mind. So we did our research to make sure that our Model Driver policy was tailored to the driving habits of women and met their needs.
Of the four driving behaviours that we monitor, Regular Routes is truly female-focused. We understand that women tend to drive on roads that they know inside out, more often than men and feel safer and more confident on these roads. That’s why we wanted routine ‘A to B’ driving to be a way for women to build up their ‘Model Driving Score’ and save help money on their premiums.
We also know how important a woman’s handbag is which is why Handbag Cover is included in every Model Driver car insurance policy (comprehensive cover only) with a limit of up to £300 if your handbag is stolen from the car.
What is telematics?
Telematics is the technology of sending, receiving and storing information using telecommunications and informatics. Sounds complicated? It really isn’t. With telematics, you prove how well your car is driven - to pay less on your car insurance by having a telematics device or Black Box (we call it a Model Driver Black Box) fitted in your car.
In a nutshell...
By having a Model Driver Black Box installed in your car you’ve already taken the first step towards being in control of what you pay for your car insurance.
- It's great news for so called ‘high risk’ drivers facing a hefty premium - particularly young or inexperienced drivers.
- A Black Box is fitted into your car so that when, where and how your car is driven can be monitored 24/7 using GPS.
- Insurers will monitor different things such as speed (are you keeping to the limits?), braking (controlled or jerky?), acceleration (smooth or erratic?), Night-Time Driving, total mileage, the type of journeys you make etc.
- You’ll be given a score which reflects how your car has been driven.
- If you (or anyone else who drives your car) drive well, you could be rewarded with money back on your premium. Drive poorly and you could see your premium rise.
- You will be able to review and analyse how well you’re driving using an online dashboard and then can look to tweak your driving habits to improve your score.
- At renewal, a high driving score could result in a lower premium and you’ll build up a No Claim Discount as usual.
How is telematics different from traditional insurance?
With both types of policy your intial premium is calculated in exactly the same way. Insurers will take account of a number of so called ‘risk factors’ – your address, age, value of your car, claims history, convictions and so on – to generate a premium and then adjust it depending on your No Claim Discount.
By having a Model Driver Black Box installed in your car you’ve already taken the first step towards being in control of what you pay for your car insurance! You can even further reduce your premium by proving how well your car is driven throughout the life of your policy. You still build up a No Claim Discount as you do with a traditional car insurance policy and your actual policy terms will be the same or similar.
Who is telematics for?
Telematics policies tend to suit drivers who are facing hefty car insurance quotes. So that’s young drivers, inexperienced drivers looking to build up a No Claim Discount or perhaps drivers deemed high risk due to their poor driving history.
When gender-neutral pricing was introduced on 21 December 2012, women faced hikes in their premiums. Women, particularly young women, opting for a telematics policy have the opportunity to be rewarded for driving well and ultimately end up paying the premium that they deserve.
What ‘box’ is fitted into my car?
A telematics device or Black Box (at Model Driver ours is called a Model Driver Black Box) is small, discrete and black - approximately the size of a standard mobile phone. It works on GPS and monitors when, where and how your car is driven, 24/7. It can be installed into a car within an hour and will not affect your car’s performance in any way or impact its warranty as it is not seen as a modification.
What are the benefits of telematics?
The main benefit is that you can save money on your car insurance. By having a Model Driver Black Box installed in your car you’ve already taken the first step towards being in control of what you pay for your car insurance! You can even further reduce your premium by proving how well your car is driven throughout the life of your policy. The box also acts as a Theft Tracker to help locate your car if it is stolen too.
Also, you have the ability to review and analyse how well you’re driving using our online dashboard to help you fine-tune your driving style and break any bad habits behind the wheel.
How can I save money with telematics?
When it comes to how much you could save on your car insurance premium, you’re firmly in the driving seat! First off, by having a Model Driver Black Box installed in your car you’ve already taken the first step towards being in control of what you pay for your car insurance. You can then make additional savings on your premium throughout the life of your policy by driving well. Your driving is scored on a daily basis and reviewed every 6 months. The higher the score, the better your driving, and the more money you could save on your premium.
Sheilas' Wheels Broker Model Driver complaints are received by the esure Group, are managed by esure Insurance Limited and relate to esure, Sheilas' Wheels, First Alternative, esure broker, Sheilas' Wheels Broker, Sheilas’ Wheels Broker Model Driver, Halifax Car Insurance and Sainsbury's car insurance.